Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Slow OutOfProcessEclipse under Unix/Linux

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 18:04:39 +0100
Martin Wegner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a student and work on a project that uses eclipse prolog with
> OutOfProcessEclipse and Java.
>
> Now I observe that OutOfProcessEclipse is very very slow under Unix/Linux :(
>
> I wrote a little benchmark-programm and with Windows XP 32 bit I can
> play 14000 games in 60 seconds.
>
> On the same computer (only 1,86 GHz) with Linux 32 bit I can only play
> 5000-6000 games in 60 seconds.
>
> With EmbeddedEclipse Linux is fast as Windows.
>
> And on a server with Unix 64 bit (3,4 GHz) I can only play 7000 games in
> 60 seconds.
>
> Can you fix this bug?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Greetings, Martin

Hi Martin,

Can you give more information on what you are doing? The communication
(peer queues) between Java and a OutOfProcessEclipse is via sockets,
which is relatively slow and also seem to have a relatively large
overhead for each transmission of data. The EmbeddedEclipse communicates
via in-memory queues, and is much more efficient.

ECLiPSe itself should run at the same speed for both, as long as you are
running ECLiPSe code and not sending/receiving data via the queues.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.