Related Books, Papers and Reports
The material on this page may be copyrighted or may be the property of the respective authors.
- A Quick and Gentle Guide to Constraint Logic Programming via ECLiPSe
- by Antoni Niederliński, 2011, IX, 420 pages, ISBN 978-83-62652-08-2. The online-version is free to download! An accessible introduction to CLP with ECLiPSe, emphasizing an intuitive understanding of the basic methods of CLP, via examples of increasing difficulty. For those who want to get started quickly with solving and optimizing combinatorial and continuous problems.
- Constraint Logic Programming using ECLiPSe
- by Krzysztof Apt and Mark Wallace, Cambridge University Press, 2006, 329 pages. A practical introduction to constraint programming and to ECLiPSe, with many examples, appropriate for a one-semester course.
- Programming with Constraints: an Introduction
- by Kim Mariott and Peter Stuckey, MIT Press, 1998. A comprehensive introduction to constraint programming, with examples in ECLiPSe.
- ECLiPSe E-Learning Course
- by Helmut Simonis, a self-study course on constraint programming using the ECLiPSe language. The course consists of video lectures, slides, handouts and other material.
- ECLiPSe by Example
- by J Schimpf and K Shen,
Tutorial given at CP 2007, Providence, USA,
- ECLiPSe: A Tutorial Introduction
- by A M Cheadle, W Harvey, A J Sadler, J Schimpf, K Shen and M G Wallace. IC-Parc, Imperial College London, Technical Report IC-Parc-03-1, 2003. Pdf (old, original version), Pdf (current release), Html (current release), Powerpoint Slides
- Developing Applications with ECLiPSe
- by H Simonis. IC-Parc, Imperial College London, Technical Report IC-Parc-03-2, 2003. Pdf
- ECLiPSe Build-and-Test Setup Guide
- How to build ECLiPSe from the sources.
- ECLiPSe Programming FAQ
- maintained by Karen E. Petrie and Neil Yorke-Smith.
- Tutorials and Articles by Helmut Simonis
- Practical advice about how to do modelling, visualisation, applications, benchmarks, puzzles with CLP.
- Slides on (finite domain) Constraint Logic Programming
- by Andy King, University of Kent, 2004, Powerpoint Slides
- The ECLiPSe Open-Source Optimization Platform
- by J Schimpf and K Shen, Presentation at OSSICP'08 Workshop on Open-Source Software for Integer and Constraint Programming at CPAIOR 2008, Paris, Powerpoint Slides/ PDF Slides
- Constraint Programming Summer School 2005
- has lecture material by renowned speakers, including a course on Hybrid algorithms, local search, and Eclipse by Mark Wallace.
- Collection of ECLiPSe Models
- by Hakan Kjellerstrand, who also runs a Constraint Programming Blog.
Manuals for Current Stable Release
- Manuals for Latest Development Version
- Manuals Release 6.0
- Manuals Release 5.10
- Manuals Release 5.9
- Manuals for Latest Development Version
- Please help us expand this section by sending us information about your ECLiPSe application!
- Hardware Resource Assignment and Configuration
- An ECLiPSe-based solver is used in Infineon's DAVE™ -- Digital Application Virtual Engineer, a development tool for microcontroller applications.
- A Declarative Language Approach to Device Configuration
- by Adrian Schüpbach, Andrew Baumann, Timothy Roscoe, Simon Peter. Journal ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCS) - Special Issue APLOS 2011, Volume 30 Issue 1, February 2012, Article No. 5 .
- Using modified incremental chart parsing to ascribe intentions to animated geometric figures
- by David Pautler, Bryan L. Koenig, Boon-Kiat Quek and Andrew Ortony. Behavior Research Methods, Springer New York, 2011, pp 1-23. Author's pdf.
- Optimal Placement of Valves in a Water Distribution Network with CLP(FD)
- by Massimiliano Cattafi, Marco Gavanelli, Maddalena Nonato, Stefano Alvisi and Marco Franchini. Best paper award at the 27th International Conference on Logic Programming - ICLP 2011; Theory and Practice of Logic Programming, (ICLP'11) Special Issue, volume 11, issue 4-5, Cambridge Univerity Press 2011. Preprint at arXiv:1109.1248v1.
- University Timetabling in ECLiPSe
- by Marco Gavanelli, in ALP Newsletter, 19(3):2, August 2006. Pdf.
- Further applications see under Hybrid Techniques
- Eplex: Harnessing Mathematical Programming Solvers for Constraint Logic Programming
- by Kish Shen and Joachim Schimpf, in Prococeedings CP '05, Sitges/Spain, LNCS 3709, Springer Verlag, 2005, Pdf, Powerpoint Slides
- Hybrid Set Domains to Strengthen Constraint Propagation and Reduce Symmetries
- by Sadler A and Gervet C, in Prococeedings CP '04, Toronto , LNCS Springer Verlag, 2004. Pdf
- Problem Decomposition for Traffic Diversions
- by Quanshi Xia, Andrew Eremin and Mark Wallace, in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Integration of AI and OR Techniques in Constraint Programming for Combinatorial Optimization Problems CPAIOR 2004, LNCS 3011, pp 348-363, Springer-Verlag, 2004. Postscript, Pdf
- Generating Benders Cuts for a General Class of Integer Programming Problems
- by Yingyi Chu and Quanshi Xia, in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Integration of AI and OR Techniques in Constraint Programming for Combinatorial Optimization Problems CPAIOR 2004, LNCS 3011, pp 127-141, Springer-Verlag, 2004. Postscript, Pdf
- Local Probing Applied to Network Routing
- by Olli Kamarainen and Hani El Sakkout, in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Integration of AI and OR Techniques in Constraint Programming for Combinatorial Optimization Problems CPAIOR 2004, LNCS 3011, pp 173-189, Springer-Verlag, 2004. Pdf
- A Hybrid Multicommodity Routing Algorithm for Traffic Engineering
- by W. Ouaja and B. Richards, NETWORKS, Wiley Periodicals Inc. 43(3):125--140, 2004.
- Hybrid Problem Solving in ECLiPSe
- by F. Ajili and M. Wallace, Chapter 6 in Constraint and Integer Programming: Toward a Unified Methodology, pp. 169-201. Book edited by: Michela Milano. Kluwer Academic Publishers. October 2003.
- A Hybrid Solver for Optimal Routing of Bandwidth-guaranteed Traffic
- by W. Ouaja and B. Richards, Proc. of the International Network Optimization Conference (INOC'03) , pp. 441-447, Evry/Paris, 2003. Postscript, Pdf
- A Probe-based Algorithm for Piecewise Linear Optimization in Scheduling
- by F. Ajili and H. El Sakkout, In Annals of Operations Research, pp. 118:35-48. January, 2003. Pdf
- Using ECLiPSe to solve large-scale piecewise linear scheduling problems
- by Olli Kamarainen. ECLiPSe User Group Newsletter, October 2002. MS Word, Pdf.
- An Improved Hybrid Model for the Generic Hoist Scheduling Problem
- by Riera, D. and Yorke-Smith, N. Annals of Operations Research 115, 173-191, September 2002. Postscript, Pdf
- Local probing applied to scheduling
- by Olli Kamarainen and Hani El Sakkout, in P. Van Hentenryck (Ed.): Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming - CP 2002, Ithaca, NY, USA, September 9-13, 2002. LNCS 2470, pg 155-171. Abstract and Pdf
- LP Probing for Piecewise Linear Optimization in Scheduling
- by Farid Ajili and Hani El Sakkout in Proceedings of 3rd International Workshop on Integration of AI and OR Techniques in Constraint Programming for Combinatorial Optimization Problems, CP-AI-OR'2001 pg 189--203. Pdf
- Hybrid Benders Decomposition Algorithms in Constraint Logic Programming
- by Eremin A and Wallace M G, in Constraint Logic Programming, in Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Principles and Practices of Constraint Programming - CP '01, LNCS 2239, pg 1-15, Springer-Verlag, 2001. Postscript
- Finding the Right Hybrid Algorithm - A Combinatorial Meta-Problem
- by Joachim Schimpf and Mark Wallace, in Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, 34(4):259--269, 2002. Pdf
- Probe backtrack search for minimal perturbation in dynamic scheduling
- by Hani El Sakkout and Mark Wallace Constraints, 5(4):359--388, 2000 Pdf
- Creating Hybrid Solutions for Inventory Management Problems
- by Rodosek R, Kokeny T, Caseau Y and LePape C, in Proceedings of the ERCIM/Compulog Workshop on Constraints, Hagenberg, 1997. Postscript
- A Generic Model and Hybrid Algorithm for Hoist Scheduling Problems
- by Rodosek R and Wallace M G, in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Principles and Practice of Constant Programming, pg 385-399, LNCS 1520, Pisa, 1998. Postscript
- A New Approach to Integrating Mixed Integer Programming with Constraint Logic Programming
- by Rodosek R, Wallace M G and Hajian M T, Annals of Operational Research. Recent Advances in Combinatorial Optimization, 1998. Postscript
- Integrating Propagation and Built-in Constraints
- by Thierry Le Provost and Mark Wallace CHIC Deliverable 5.2.31, Postscript
- Using a Subsumption-Based Taxonomy to Construct Networks of Cooperating Decision Procedures
- by Pierre Lim and Mark Wallace [ECRC-92-1i]
- High-Level Implementation of Consistency Techniques
- by Joachim Schimpf. 19th National Conference of the Australian Society for Operations Research (ASOR'07) (pdf, ppt)
- On Benchmarking Constraint Logic Programming Platforms. Response to Fernandez and Hill's "A Comparative Study of Eight Constraint Programming Languages over the Boolean and Finite Domains"
- by Mark Wallace, Joachim Schimpf, Kish Shen and Warwick Harvey. In CONSTRAINTS Journal, ed. E.C. Freuder,9(1), pp 5-34, Kluwer, 2004. Programs.
- Engineering of Optimisation Projects
- The methodology developed by ESPRIT Project 22165 CHIC-2, 1999.
- ECLiPSe: A Platform for Constraint Logic Programming
- by Mark Wallace, Stefano Novello and Joachim Schimpf. ICL Systems Journal, Volume 12, Issue 1, May 1997, pp. 159-200. (revised version of Technical Report IC-Parc, Imperial College, London, August 1997, Postscript, Pdf)
- Constraint Programming
- by Mark Wallace. ICL Systems Journal, Volume 12, Issue 1, May 1997, pp. 137-158. (revised version of Technical Report IC-Parc, Imperial College, London, September 1995, Postscript, Pdf)
- Interval Propagation to Reason about Sets
- by Carmen Gervet. In CONSTRAINTS journal, ed. E.C. Freuder,1(3), pp 191-244, 1997. Postscript
- Terminological reasoning with constraint handling rules
- by Thom Frühwirth and Philippe Hanschke. Chapter in Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming (P. Van Hentenryck and V.J. Saraswat, Eds.), MIT Press, April 1995. postscript
- High-Level Implementations of Constraint Handling Rules
- by Thom Fruehwirth and Pascal Brisset. [ECRC-95-20]
- Constraint Handling Rules
- Chapter in "Constraint Programming: Basics and Trends" (A. Podelski, ed.), Springer LNCS 910, March 1995, pp. 90ff. Postscript. See also CHR home page.
- Open Architecture for CLP
- by Micha Meier and Pascal Brisset. [ECRC-95-10]
- Metaterms with several attributes
- by Pascal Brisset. In Proceedings of the ILPS'93 Workshop on Methodologies for Composing Logic Programs, Vancouver, October 1993. Postscript
- Conjunto: Constraint Logic Programming with Finite Set Domains
- by Carmen Gervet. In Proceedings of the International Logic Programming Symposium (ILPS'94), pp 339-358, 1994. Postscript
- A Conservative Approach to Meta-Programming in Constraint Logic Programming
- by Pierre Lim and Joachim Schimpf. Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Programming Language Implementation and Logic Programming, Tallinn, August 1993. Postscript
- Implementation of the ECLiPSe Rational Constraint Solver
- by Pierre Lim. [ECRC-94-23]
- Temporal reasoning with constraint handling rules
- by Thom Frühwirth. [ECRC-94-5]
- Two Problems - Two Solutions: One System - ECLiPSe
- by Mark Wallace, in IEE Colloquium on Advanced Software Technologies for Scheduling, 1993. Postscript
- Constraint Logic Programming - An Informal Introduction
- by Thom Frühwirth, Alexander Herold, Volker Küchenhoff, Thierry Le Provost, Pierre Lim, Eric Monfroy, and Mark Wallace. [ECRC-93-5]
- Generalised Constraint Propagation Over the CLP Scheme
- by Thierry Le Provost and Mark Wallace. Journal of Logic Programming 16, July 1993. Also [ECRC-92-1]
- Domain-Independent Propagation
- by Thierry Le Provost and Mark Wallace. Proceedings of the FGCS'92, Tokyo, June 1992. Postscript
- The Constraint Logic Programming Language CHIP
- by M. Dincbas and P. Van Hentenryck and H. Simonis and A. Aggoun and T. Graf and F. Berthier. International Conference on FGCS 1988, Tokyo, November 1988.
- Large Scale Combinatorial Optimization: A Methodological Viewpoint
- by Carmen Gervet. An overview paper about the methodology for developing large-scale combinatorial optimization problems, developed by ESPRIT Project 22165 CHIC-2. Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science 2001, pp 151-175. Pdf
- CHIC-2 Methodology User Guide
- by the ESPRIT Project 22165 CHIC-2 consortium (Bouygues, Euro-Decision, IC-Parc, ICL, NTUA and Renault). A handbook of methodological guidelines for all participants in an industrial project that includes optimisation. It can be used by managers to organise and control the project and by technical people to improve the efficiency of their work. May 1999, 212 pages MS-Word (Individual chapters: Introduction, 1-Project Lifecycle, 2-Project Management, 3-Problem Definition Activity, 4-Solution Design Activity, 5-Implementation Activity, Annex, or gzip'd package).
- CHIC Lessons on CLP Methodology
- by André Chamard, Annie Fischler, Dominique-Benoît Guinaudeau and André Guillaud. This is an excellent overview of various methodological issues for CLP programming. 1995.
Prolog and Tools
- ECLiPSe - from LP to CLP
- by Joachim Schimpf and Kish Shen. Theory and Practice of Logic Programming / Volume 12 / Special Issue on Prolog Systems 1-2, pp 127 - 156. Copyright Cambridge University Press 2011, Published online 12 September 2011, DOI:10.1017/S1471068411000469. Published version (author's copy). Preprint arXiv:1012.4240v1.
- Logical Loops
- by Joachim Schimpf. Logic Programming, 18th International Conference, ICLP 2002, Copenhagen, Denmark, July/August 2002. Proceedings, LNCS 2401, pg 224-238, © Springer-Verlag, Paper (PS, Pdf), Slides (PPT, Pdf), Code.
- A High-Level Generic Interface to External Programming Languages for ECLiPSe
- by Shen K and Schimpf J and Novello S and Singer J., Proceedings of Practical Aspects of Declarative Languages, 4th International Symposium, PADL 2002, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2257, pg 262-279, © Springer-Verlag, January 2002. Postscript, Pdf
- Key Features of a Prolog Module System
- by Michel Dorochevsky. [ECRC-TR-DPS-103]
- Shallow Backtracking in Prolog Programs
- by Micha Meier. ECRC Technical Report, 1987 [ECRC-95-11]
- SEPIA - An Extendible Prolog System
- by Micha Meier and Abderrahmane Aggoun and David Chan and Pierre Dufresne and Reinhard Enders and Dominique Henry de Villeneuve and Alexander Herold and Philip Kay and Bruno Perez and Emmanuel van Rossum and Joachim Schimpf. Proceedings of the 11th World Computer Congress IFIP'89, San Francisco, August 1989. Postscript, Pdf
- Event Handling in Prolog
- by Micha Meier. Proceedings of the North American Conference on Logic Programming, Cleveland, October 1989. [ECRC-95-9]
- SEPIA Programming Environment
- by Micha Meier and Philip Kay and Emmanual van Rossum and Hugh Grant. Proceedings of the NACLP'89 Workshop on Logic Programming Environments: The Next Generation, Cleveland, October 1989. Postscript
- Compilation of Compound Terms in Prolog
- by Micha Meier.
Proceedings of the NACLP'90, Austin, October 1990.
Code from appendix A.
- Garbage Collection for Prolog based on Twin Cells
- by Joachim Schimpf. Proceedings of the NACLP'90 Workshop on LP Architectures, Austin, October 1990. Postscript, Pdf
- Recursion vs. Iteration in Prolog
- by Micha Meier. Proceedings of the ICLP'91, Paris, June 1991. [ECRC-95-13]
- An Architecture for Prolog Extensions
- by Micha Meier and Joachim Schimpf. Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Extensions of Logic Programming, Bologna, 1992. [ECRC-95-6]
- Control in ECLiPSe
- by Micha Meier and Joachim Schimpf. ECRC Technical report, 1995. [ECRC-95-7]
- Better Late than Never
- by Micha Meier. Implementations of Logic Programming Systems, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1994. [ECRC-95-8]
- The PADDY Partial Deduction System
- by Steven Prestwich. [ECRC-92-6]
- The Handbook of Parallel Constraint Logic Programming Applications
- by Alexander Herold (Ed.) This is the final deliverable of the APPLAUSE ESPRIT project. The main part of the book contains the description of APPLAUSE parallel CLP applications summarizing the experience gathered in the course of the project. ECRC, November 1995. Postscript.
- ECLiPSe Programming Tutorial
- by Steven Prestwich. [ECRC-95-17]
- Parallel CLP on Heterogeneous Networks
- by Shyam Mudambi and Joachim Schimpf. Proceedings of ICLP'94, pp 124-141, MIT Press 1994. [ECRC-94-17]
- Programmer-Oriented Visualisation of Parallel Logic Program Execution
- by Steven Prestwich and Tony Kusalik. [ECRC-94-7]
- Parallel Speedup Anomalies and Program Development
- by Steven Prestwich. [ECRC-93-12]
- ElipSys Programming Tutorial
- by Steven Prestwich. [ECRC-93-2]
- A Debugger for Constraints in Prolog
- by Michael Dahmen. ECRC Technical report ECRC-91-11, 1991.
- Abstract views of Prolog executions in Opium
- by Mireille Ducasse. [ECRC-92-11]
- An Extendable Trace Analyser to Support Automated Debugging
- by Mireille Ducasse. [ECRC-92-33]
- Opium: A high-level debugging environment for Prolog
- by Mireille Ducasse. [ECRC-93-16]
- Debugging Constraint Programs
- by Micha Meier [ECRC-95-15]